Now Playing

Friday, September 19, 2008

Today is the day

6:20 am Wow there is so much to say... I have been madly preparing for this day both at home and at work and wouldn't you know it I still don't feel ready. Sure the nursery is done and Kayt has nested to the fullest. But man o man when faced with the reality that our baby is coming today the excitement is mixed with fear and wonder.

I am so proud of my wife and amazed at the physical transformation that her body has gone through in the last 39 weeks. The respect and love that I have for her has grown through out this and she still hasn't even given birth! I only hope that I have some clue as to how to help her and be there for her. The feeling of being a helpless on looker is quite strong. I have taken the time off of work so that is a good start at least.
The reason I can write this now is that we know that she will be induced. Yesterday the doctor decided that it would be fore the better if we did. There was no single reason but a few minor ones that added up to it being better to do now. Firstly the baby is quite large or so it seems, and is fully "cooked". Then there was the borderline gestational diabetes. Also Kayt's legs and feet have been swelling quite a bit and there is the concern of Toxemia. Finally there was protein in her urine last exam. Again nothing drastic or urgent but together equals...
SO here we are on the morning of the 19th knowing we are going to have a baby today. Sounds weird even to say.

Kayt with Doctor Quinlan

10:30 am We have just returned from the hospital as they gave Kayt the drugs and monitored her for an hour. So far nothing has happened.

15 comments:

  1. How exciting you guys!!! We are watching and waiting on baited breath for the newest little Mahon / Robertson:)

    Our our love and best wishes for a good delivery!!!

    Love, K&J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo!! I will be praying for Kayte 'tho she may already have already had the baby, so being as how God is in control, I will pray that baby arrives safely. What an exciting day! Wishing you all a great day!
    Love,
    Aunt Louene

    ReplyDelete
  3. very moving Son, Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stefan, More women should have husbands like you.. You three are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to start my day by reading your exciting news. I am sitting here oooohing and ahhhing and can only imagine what must be going on with you guys so far away. For you it is still September 19th and I am wondering if your baby is in this world already...

    I wish you the best of luck. Kayt may you have the strength to make it through the delivery and Stefan, for you the same obviously - just in a slightly different way. ;) Baby Mahon: be healthy& happy!! I cant wait to "meet" your little baby and await the news.

    I hope you have a fantastic weekend - this is your first as a family of 3!! You have certainly made me smile already and this will keep me going for my day ahead! Again, stay safe, good luck and all my thoughts are with you!!! Always, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stefan.......Kayt, you and your precious bundle are in our prayers and thoughts. What an exciting time for you all.
    love,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you will be flooded with email well-wishers, so we are joining the crowd! We hope & pray that everything is going well and we will hear some wonderful news soon. We have enjoyed your regular updates and being able to have a glimpse of your journey along the way - even from far away! You guys are going to be great parents and we hope you have a chance to bring your little Mahon to Ontario to meet the extended family someday. Hang in there - you are probably in the middle of the most intense day of your life right now!
    Look forward to hearing the final report!
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!! Good luck!
    It is the most wonderful experience ever!!!! My husband is still "amazed" about the whole delivery thing. I was induced also (but mine was 10 days late... and 9.2pds!) Yes, you will feel helpless but having you there is all she needs holding your hand, getting a kiss and feeling the love. I can't wait to hear from you guys.
    Lots of love from the Laganas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mommy and Daddy;


    We hope that we haven't sent this to early to congratulate you on the birth of your first child. You never mentioned what sex the child was, just that Kayt was going to be induced; and we hope that everything is going well, with Mommy and Baby. Keep us informed; please.

    Once again congratulations, look after them. And be prepared for some sleepless nights.

    Best wishes and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big prayers and best wishes man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to both of you!!! So what was in the oven all this time? What's the name of your recipee! I wish you so much happiness!!!
    Hope to see the pictures soon!
    Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard you talk so excitedly........this is very cool. As I said last visit you will both be amazing parents-congratulations, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stef
    I was induced - they determined my due date from an ultrasound in my fifth month (size of baby's head) Well if the truth be told we are a family of big heads and I don't think Charles was really overdue when they induced me. It wasn't pleasant as there were no breaks between contractions but it all ended up ok and he is now about to graduate as a geologist!!!

    I am crossing everything that all goes well on this life-changing day

    Bon Chance to you both

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stefan,
    You and Kayt are in my thoughts and prayers. I thought it was the 20th but give or a take a day right????

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Daddy and Mommy!

    I am so so excited for you both. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete